Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Another day, another dog walk.

  • Recipes given or referred:
    • Sauteed veg. loaf sauced w. six-minute flounder in spicy tomato sauce. Preceded with a bowl of reheated New England fish chowder; hors d'oeuvres reheated lavash w. some humus, cheddar.
    • Poisson aux champignons and Pommes de terre aux herbes: M. Johnson's The Cuisine of the Sun.
    • For breakfast: Omelette Moliere from E. David's Omelette and a Glass of Wine.
  • Summary
    • Walking Luigi
    • Dinner Monday
    • Editing Karl's Daghani lecture
    • Dinner Tuesday
    • Sleeping
    • Wednesday breakfast
    • Monday yoga class
    • Tuesday meeting at FLOC
    • Wednesday breakfast
  • Walking Luigi
    • I walked Luigi this foggy morning from the house down to Monterey Ave. around behind past Purple Cherry's office to Melvin Ave. Then we crossed Rowe Blvd. to the USNA Stadium and walked around it in the clockwise direction. We walked down to the front of the Court House and then up beside and behind it before we went over to the walk along the Taylor Ave. side and across the back until about halfway when we cut across the muddy field to the parking lot behind the Stadium near Melvin Ave. We then rejoined the path and went on back home. Luigi behave very well, requiring less intervention from me than on our much shorter walk yesterday.
    • On Monday morning we walked from the house to Monterey, then down to the apartment buildings and their swimming pool on Weems Creek. There a small dog with slightly opened windows in a car barked at Luigi who took it in stride. We walked back up and along the street at the back of the block between Ridgely Ave. and Rowe Blvd. and then back up Melvin to Ridgely and back home from their. Luigi required several times to be called to heel and became calmer as we walked.
      • He had already been to the doggy park with Nancy. She said that later in the day he seemed very well behaved when she walked him again.
  • Dinner Monday: Mostly made up of leftovers after I returned from yoga class.
    • Sauteed a couple of slices of the vegetable loaf until it began to dry a bit and crisp up on the outside, and microwaved the remaining six-minute cod (actually flounder) in spicy tomato sauce as the sauce over the loaf slices. Preceded with a bowl of reheated New England fish chowder and accompanied by a salad Nancy made that was a little heavy on the grated vegetables - I wasn't real excited by the texture. For hors d'oeuvres we had some of the lavash I had made Sunday that Nancy had reheated on the grill, together with some humus, some cheddar, and the leftover raita - the raita beginning to fail, I thought. We drank water with dinner.
  • Editing Karl's Daghani lecture: I spent most of the day Monday working on this. Karl had called early, as I was getting ready to look at Nancy's edited version, to tell me that he had reviewed her edits and "did I want to use his new version?" I said, "Of course" and he sent it to me. About 17 pages long, it had several odd usages along with the difficulty of the unfamiliar material but I worked my way through it. My favorite triumph was having deciphered that the phrase "time forms" probably should be "time frames." Lecturing the English speaking auditors would probably unconsciously transform it to "time frames" but anyone reading it closely might be mightily puzzled.
  • Dinner Tuesday:
    • From Mireille Johnson's The Cuisine of the Sun: Poisson aux champignons and Pommes de terre aux herbes. Both very good but a little overcooked, the potatoes a little chewier than I wanted, the flesh of the pink snapper a bit dry after I had filleted it. I reduced the mushrooms and sauce perhaps a bit more than necessary. It would have been nicer to have a little of the sauce liquor to moisten the fish. Nancy had a glass of chardonnay from that which I had opened to cook the fish. I finished the one glass of prosecco left in a leftover bottle, now flat. Later, I had a shot of rum and slept poorly, as a consequence, I think.
  • Sleeping: until last night I had slept as much as eight hours a night since New Year's, a result, perhaps, of limiting my alcohol intake. Last night I drank a glass of prosecco with dinner and then had double of rum with most of a Diet Dr. Pepper before going to bed. Whether it was the rum or the wine or the DDP, by about 5 a.m. I was tossing restlessly and got up a 6 to relieve myself and read the paper. Tonight I shall continue the study and see if no alcohol, no DDP results in a sound night's sleep.
  • Monday yoga class: I made it to class on time. Mary had us focus a great deal of attention on the relation between our sacrum and pelvis and the muscles of the thigh as they go down the leg, across the knee and on down to both sides of the foot.
  • Tuesday meeting at FLOC: we met about the OEC DOJ grant and how to develop it as well as to discuss the leaving of Rich ... who we had hired in July to run the programs at the OEC (Outdoor Education Center.) It was a hard but productive meeting. I am tasked to write up the narrative of the grant description and review it with Nancy van Scoyoc before our next meeting on or about 1.25.2005. Writing the narrative now becomes my primary work over the next couple of weeks.
  • Wednesday breakfast: I made an Omelette Moliere from E. David's Omelette and a Glass of Wine. I drank DDP instead of wine, but it was still delicious. I finished the intro and read the first chapter and a half of David Perkins' A History of Modern Poetry: Modernism and After.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home